Ambassador Nwannebuike Ominyi; the Nigerian Ambassador to Zambia recently facilitated a business meeting between the government of Burundi and Dangote cement In Zambia.
In a detailed report of the meeting shared with Geoffrey Onyeama, the Honourable Minister,Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Nigeria, Ambassador Nwannebuike Ominyi highlighted the following;
I have the honour to report to Your Excellency that I hosted a business meeting between the delegation of Government of Burundi and management of Dangote Cement Company on 27th June, 2002 at the Nigerian High Commission in Lusaka in Zambia. The meeting which was held at the instance of the Embassy of the Republic of Burundi in Lusaka, Zambia was for the Nigerian High Commission to facilitate a business between the Burundian Government and Dangote Cement in Zambia.
2. The meeting had in attendance, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Dangote Cement Zambia Mr. Vipul Agrawal as well as Ambassador of Burundi to Republic of Zambia, H.E Amb Pascal Ruhonmvyumworo, who led the delegation of other six top Government Officials from Burundi to the meeting. It is recalled Your Excellency that, Government of Burundi had through its Embassy in Zambia requested the Nigerian High Commission to arrange a tripartite meeting involving Missions of Nigeria and Burundi as well as management of Dangote Cement Zambia to among other things, solve the current challenge of shortage of supply of cement in Burundi.
3. To this end, the meeting therefore, deliberated on the modalities for supply of construction materials and equipment for public work to Government of Burundi by the Dangote Cement Company including, establishment of cement storage facilities that would cater for public works. In this regard, the Burundian delegation further requested the CEO to avail it with payment modalities, stressing that the Government of Burundi is ready to sign credit letter with Dangote Cement, Zambia.
4. While buttressing its point on the request for the establishment of cement factory in Burundi, the Burundian delegation informed that Burundi has abundance raw materials for the production of cement by Dangote Group of Companies. According to the delegation, the North-western region of country is endowed with large deposit of Limestone, Magnesium Oxide, and Silicone Oxide that would be required for the production of cement.
5. Responding, the CEO Dangote Cement Zambia, Mr. Vipul Agrawal expressed his appreciation to the Nigerian High Commission and the Government of Burundi for organising the the meeting. Thereafter, he pledged to convey the request for the establishment of cement factory made by the Government of Burundi to the Dangote’s Head office in Lagos. On the modalities of payment, he requested the delegation to discuss with the company’s Director of Finance during its visit to the Factory in Ndola.
6. Summing up, the CEO Dangote assured that the delegation that the Company would consider the entire request made by the Government of Burundi. He added that prompt supply of cement from Ndola to Bujumbura will be considered top priority, pending the time all issues surrounding the establishment of Dangote Cement factory in Burundi is finalised.
7. Consequent upon the successful hosting of the meeting on the 27th June, 2022 I led the delegation to the Dangote Cement factory in Ndola. The visit afforded the delegation the opportunity to meet with other management team of the Company who promised to work on the request of the Government of Burundi upon the arrival of the Chief Executive. The delegation was thereafter, conducted round the cement factory in Ndola.
8. Finally, both the Dangote Cement factory and the delegation of Government of Burundi have agreed that all necessary arrangements, leading to commencement of supply of cement to Bujumbura, the capital city of Burundi would be concluded by August, 2022.